Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Your first few bites.

How strange it is to post my thoughts online! I could avoid it for the most part with Facebook, but that aversion would defeat the purpose of a blog.

I woke up at six thirty this morning from a nightmare. I was too afraid to close my eyes again, so I flipped on the television.

I turned to TBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network. They air Joel Osteen, women pastors, and other individuals who preach the health and wealth gospel (see Galatians 1:6-12 for a contrary gospel, the gospel of grace). Don't ask me why I like listening to these people; I myself cannot be sure of that very thing. I always take TBN with a grain (or a canister) of salt, and often try to exercise my discernment of biblical truth from those words spoken to win the approval of men (Galatians 1:10).
Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? Matthew 6:27

The pastor on television was claiming that God wants to give us good health and that He wants to dress us more richly than King Solomon, which I find to be an extortion the scripture of Matthew 6:25-34. However, the truth that God cares for my anxieties (Matthew 6:27 & 1 Peter 5:7) made me feel better about my recurring nightmare. Isn't He my fortress and my shield? Do I have to worry about any threat in this life, whether of my conscious or subconscious?

Stature as used in this verse of Matthew 6 refers to life-span or age (according to TBN and confirmed by Strong). I have eternal life! There is no end to my days! And I can spend every single day from here on out with my God!! What have I over which to worry?

I read this in my QT when I woke up for the second time today, at noon:
Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

Thank you, Jesus!

This is going to be the second promise from God onto which I hold tightly. I've noticed that a lot of my friends remember the Lord's promises from scripture and the ways in which these promises pertain to their personal lives. I feel like there has only been one promise that I can remember especially pertaining to my life from before today. God spoke it to me the night that I first got saved:
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. 1 John 4:18
I am seeing a trend here: fears and worries. Maybe this is something to which I should pay more attention. 1 John continues to state:
But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 4:18

So here is to remembering God's promises and being sanctified in His love :)

Which of His promises have you held onto most firmly of late?

1 comment:

  1. I used to quote Luke 10:41 often, but have found John 11:5 to be a much better comfort, especially the first four words. :)

    ReplyDelete