Sunday, June 27, 2010

Two Steeples

Here are two points that I have heard recently about the body of Christ, His church. I've really enjoyed them.


1. The church is not designed for isolation but for fellowship and accountability.

And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone..." Genesis 2:18a

ALTHOUGH our personal relationship with God should give us far more fulfillment than any other relationship. (Luke 14:26)


2. If the church is His body, even His appendix is vital.

From Pastor Francis Chan's book The Forgotten God:

"If you say you are called to be in the place you are, then a few questions need to be considered. For example, how would you be missed if you left this place? What would change? Basically, what difference does your presence here make? Or, as my youth pastor once asked me, what would your church (and the worldwide church) look like if everyone was as committed as you are? If everyone gave and served and prayed exactly like you, would the church be healthy and empowered? Or would it be weak and listless?
...My purpose in these questions is to get you to take 1 Corinthians 12 seriously, to believe that you have been given a manifestation of the Spirit and that your church, the worldwide body of Christ, and the world are crippled without your involvement. I write this beccause I love the church and want you to trust that you are more than just a helpful addition. You need to believe that you are a vital member. (I added the bold)
... It is true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are. But it's absolutely vital to grasp that He didn't call you there so you could settle in and live out your life in comfort and superficial peace. His purposes are not random or arbitrary. If you are still alive on the planet, it is because He has something for you to do... (Eph 2:8-10). Do you believe that you exist not for your own pleasure but to help people know the love of Jesus and to come fully alive in Him? If so, then that will shape how you live your life in the place where you are."

ALTHOUGH, we should not be prideful in our service but minister unto God with the heart of a servant. (Matthew 6:1-4, among many others)

3 comments:

  1. http://bigbowloficecream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT!
    If We Are the Body by Casting Crowns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed them too! I really like the first one--I used to think that it was either God or the people around me... but it's through God that I have these relationships and through these relationships that I can learn to love and develop my gifts to all the more serve Him and His church, which is awesome^^

    Time to blog-stalk!!!

    @~~`~~,~~

    ReplyDelete