Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ickies

Two things that I considered icky: sin and confession. Sin is still icky, but confession... not so much.

Have you ever been too ashamed to tell God your sin? I was. Then it became a limb on my body and I figured that God already knew about it so I didn't have to confess it to Him. Then my sin didn't bother me.

But I knew that was wrong. In John 8:11, Jesus tells the woman caught in adultery, "Neither do I condemn you; go now and sin no more." That struck me because I know that we are sinful beings and can't fully rid ourselves of that sin nature while we are in our earthly bodies. Did Jesus really expect her to stop sinning??

But that is what repentance is about. Galatians 4:9 -- But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage?

It wasn't until I found myself confessing my sin to a friend that I felt shame again. I wasn't numbed to my sin anymore; I was forced to confront my bondage to it.

And now I'm holding on to another one of God's promises: "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom" (2 Corinthians 3:17, NIV). I believe the Holy Spirit lives within me and that I have the ability to claim this freedom from the sin to which I once thought I had to be in bondage. That was the truth that came out during my time of confession and prayer with a sister.

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

And that applies in EVERY SINGLE TIME I am tempted.

Now I better understand what freedom in Christ is. I also see the value of confession.

I hope you will be encouraged by these scriptures and that you will endeavour with me to cease tolerating open and rebellious sin in your life.

I will be held accountable now; I know I won't be able to ignore this certain sin anymore. I expect to see breakthrough, too. I hit a wall last night when I had to confront my sin. Prayer got me through it. Now I will have better quiet times with God and I will learn how to pray better and how to better glorify Him through my life. I know a roadblock has been removed! I can walk again with my Father!!

No comments:

Post a Comment